We, the members of the Jewish Community of Belgrade (JCB) and a wider Jewish Community of Serbia, express deep concern watching the Ministry of Justice acting contrary to the Law on Churches and Religious Communities in the process of registration of the newly elected President of the Jewish Community of Belgrade, Aleksandar Saša Jinker. Therefore, we stand firm behind the following statement:
- Danilo Medić and his administration were dismissed from office at the Extraordinary Assembly held in accordance with the statute and sub-statutory acts of JCB, and therefore, he no longer represents JCB.
- The Elective Assembly held in March voted by a majority of over 340 members in favor of Alexander Saša Jinker, making him the only legitimate representative of JCB. At the same Assembly session, Danilo Medić received 5 votes.
- The actions of the Ministry in the registration process is contrary to the Law on Churches and Religious Communities and in violation of the usual practices and such actions make the Ministry an accomplice in the non-transparent practice of the dismissed Medić’s Administration, as well as an accomplice in the non-transparent spending of Serbian taxpayers' money allocated to the Jewish Community of Serbia under the Law on restitution.
- The Ministry's actions in the registration process can only be viewed as providing a "rescue belt" to the recalled Administration and interpreted as giving support to all the acts of corruption it makes.
- The Ministry's actions in the registration process can be viewed only as a deprivation of the Jewish Community of Belgrade of its legal and constitutional rights to autonomy, which gives this problem an unnecessary political dimension.
- Ministry’s insistence on an unlawful approach to the process of (non)registration in an arbitrary manner that is contrary to the Law on Churches and Religious Communities is undermining our confidence in the Ministry of Justice.
In the light of the above, we hereby unanimously declare the following:
- We condemn the constant efforts of the Ministry to deprive us of our legally guaranteed right to autonomy.
- We condemn the persistent support of the Ministry to the non-transparent and corrupted, dismissed administration.
- We reject the meddling of the Ministry in the internal affairs of our community and any attempts of arbitration by any party outside the relevant laws and the constitution.
- Aleksandar Saša Jinker, the new president of JCB, has the support of an absolute majority of the Jews in Serbia.
- The process of registering Alexander Saša Jinker has grown into a symbol of struggle for our rights to the autonomy and survival of the Jewish Community of Serbia.
- We will continue to fight using all legal and legitimate means available, both locally and internationally, until the restoration of our autonomy.
In line with the above, we hereby:
- invite the Minister of Justice, Ms. Nela Kuburović, to act in accordance with the Law on Churches and Religious Communities and register the President of JCB, Aleksandar Saša Jinker in the Register of Churches and Religious Communities, without delay and further arbitration.